416-920-3849 extension 101
Recognized as one of Canada's leading entertainment lawyers by:
Danny has practiced entertainment law for nearly 20 years and represents a wide variety of clientele including independent film & TV producers, distributors, talent agents, screenwriters, authors, directors, actors, journalists, designers, animators, artists, website and app developers, composers, musicians, stunt performers, digital effects specialists, event planners, publicists, celebrity chefs, wrestlers, Olympic athletes, clowns, comedians, promoters, advertising agencies and one sexologist. He advises on all aspects of development, production, financing, intellectual property protection, licensing, corporate organization and distribution for feature films, television programs, live theatre, music, publishing, online and mobile media projects, sponsorship, and sporting and special events. He has also acted as an executive producer on more than 20 film and television productions.
Danny is co-author of the chapter “Business Concepts in the Film and Television Industry” in the book “Entertainment Law in Canada” and is a contributing author to the book “Canadian Film & Television Business & Legal Practice”. He serves on the steering committee for the Law Society of Upper Canada Entertainment Law Symposium, is a regular guest lecturer with the Humber School of Media Studies & Information Technology Film & Television Production Program and the Seneca@York Documentary Institute, as well as a frequent speaker at industry events. He is a registered Trademark agent, a member of the Academy of Canadian Film and Television and Law Society of Upper Canada, and a founding and current member of the executive board of the Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company.
Before entering private practice in 1999, Danny worked in program acquisitions and business affairs at Alliance Atlantis Broadcasting. He began his career in the entertainment industry as an assistant producer with Canada’s largest commercial theatre producer Mirvish Productions.
In his spare time, Danny enjoys brushing the dust off his guitar to re-live those glory days when he still hoped to become a rock star instead of just writing contracts for them. These days, his legion of fans consists mostly of his wife and two daughters, along with his dog, two cats and talking amazon parrot. The parrot is now the more talented singer…
• Ontario Bar Admission, 1997
• LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1995
• Bachelor of Arts, York University, 1993
AFFILIATIONS & DESIGNATIONS
• Registered Canadian & U.S. Trademark Agent
• Member of Law Society of Upper Canada
• Member of the Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television
• The Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company
Co-Founder, Past-President & Executive Board Member
• LSUC Entertainment Law Symposium Executive Steering Committee
ARTICLES & PUBLICATIONS
• "Business Concepts in the Film and Television Industry”, Chapter 7 (co-author), King, J. (2000). Entertainment law in Canada. Markham, Ont: LexisNexis.
• "Media Taxonomy - Back to the Basics “ in Duarte, T. (2000). Canadian Film & Television Business & Legal Practice. Aurora, Ont: Canada Law Book.
• "Negotiating with Stars" - The Lawyers Weekly, March 21, 2008
• LSUC Entertainment Law Symposium 2013 and 2015 - Workshop Leader
• CraftTruck.com Podcast #62, March 2015 - "Negotiating Talent Agreements"
• Humber School of Media & Information Technology Film & Television Production Program - Guest Lecturer
• Seneca @ York Documentary and Non-Fiction Media Production Program - Guest Lecturer
* Barbados Independent Filmmaking Workshop 2012 - Featured Lecturer
* OBA Entertainment, Media & Communications Section Seminar 2008 - "The ABC's of Talent Agreements in Television and Film Production"
OTHER LAWYER PROFILES